Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Habanero Salsa!


Okay, some of you might not know this, but I'm half Mexican. I don't look the slightest bit Mexican, but I assure you, I am. Although there are a lot of Mexican dishes that I do not like, I am an avid salsa eater; the spicier the better. My boyfriend decided he wanted me to make him a habanero salsa, so naturally I called my mom and asked her for some advice on how to make a delicious salsa. I only had so many ingredients (I was too lazy to go to the store) but here's what I came up with:











Ingredients:
4 Tomatillos
2 Large Tomatoes
2 Jalapenos
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/2 Cup chopped onions
1 teaspoon of sugar
2 teaspoons of fresh lime juice
2 habanero peppers, one with seeds, one without
1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro (use more if you like, I'm not crazy about it)

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the tomatillos, tomatoes, and jalapenos. Boil for 15 minutes, drain water, and let cool. Once cooled, de-skin tomatillos and tomatoes, then add all 3 ingredients into a food processor (or blender). Blend until smooth, then add garlic, cilantro, onions, lime juice, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. If that's not spicy enough for you, move on to the next step: HABANEROS.

Cut the habaneros in half, and remove the seeds from one of the habaneros, and chop. (If you want it REALLY hot, leave in the seeds. The more seeds you have, the spicier it will be). Add the chopped habaneros to food processor and blend until smooth. Let sit in the fridge for at least 1 hour for the flavors to fuse together. I assure you it will be even better the next day.

TIPS:
Use gloves (or in my case, plastic baggies) when cutting the habaneros because it will BURN your fingers. And remember to stay away from your eyes, of course :)
Also, this salsa has more of a "green salsa" flavor, so if you would like you can add a can of diced tomatoes or fresh tomatoes, but personally I think it's authentic as is. You can also try roasting your tomatillos, tomatoes and jalapenos for a different flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Honey & Brie • Template by mable+mint