Thursday, June 20, 2013

Cheesy Cheddar-Gruyere and Chive Biscuits (GF)

Welp, I'm back! We made the move from San Diego to Los Angeles and we finally have internet so I can post again! Stomach problems are better, after tons of doctors visits, all of which had absolutely zero answers for my symptoms. So I decided just to figure it out on my own, and so far it's working.

Needless to say, I've been eating fairly normal again and I'm back to testing out recipes.




A few weeks ago at my supper club, that I'm no longer a part of because I moved to LA (tear), someone made cheddar biscuits that were AMAZING. I seriously could not stop eating them. So I decided to make my own by adapting this recipe. I made them gluten-free, added gruyere, and added greek yogurt instead of buttermilk, because I didn't have any. These biscuits were absolutely delicious. The gruyere definitely adds an extra layer of flavor to the average cheddar biscuits. Brett ate three with his dinner, and I had one for breakfast with an egg and avocado. That recipe comes next!





Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups gf all-purpose flour
1/2 cup almond flour
2 teaspoons gf baking powder
1/2 teaspoon gf baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons extra cold butter, in 1/2 in chunks
1 bunch of finely chopped chives (roughly 2 tablespoons)
3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
3/4 cup grated gruyere     (I used 1 1/2 cups of Trader Joe's Cheddar-Gruyere cheese, I'm lazy)
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
2 tablespoons water


In a bowl, sift together flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Add extra cold chunks of butter, chives, and 1 cup of the cheese (reserve remaining 1/2 cup). With your fingers, or a pastry cutter, combine the ingredients until the butter forms peanut sized chunks/balls.

In a small bowl whisk together yogurt and water until fluid and no longer chunky. Add yogurt mixture to dough until it can be formed into a large ball.

On a floured surface roll out the dough until it's roughly 1 inch thick. Cut the dough with a biscuit cutter, or into squares if you want it to be more rustic, and sprinkle the top of each with cheese.

Place biscuits in the freezer for 10 minutes and preheat oven to 450 degrees, moving an oven rack to the upper third level of the oven.

Bake biscuits on a well greased baking sheet for about 15 minutes, or until biscuits are golden.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely work, Bree! Would you be happy to link it in to the current Food on Friday which is collecting snacks and treats? This is the link . I do hope to see you there. There are already quite a lot of links for you to check out. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bree, thanks for bringing this on over to the party. I have signed up to follow you. Hope to see you again soon. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so awesome. But I am also dairy free. I thought I could use my dairy free cheese (that melts!), but I can't get around the yogurt! :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could sub 1/3 cup dairy free milk with a teaspoon of vinegar or lemon juice to make up for the acidity in the yogurt!

      Delete

Copyright © Honey & Brie • Template by mable+mint