Saturday, March 23, 2013

Breakfast Tostada (GF)

I had an idea for breakfast tostadas one morning when I had some brown rice tortillas that were about to go bad. I basically made scrambled eggs and threw in whatever veggies I had in the fridge that I thought would go well in a breakfast tostada. I chopped some mushrooms and sauteed them in coconut oil, then added the egg and scrambled them.




The trick to great scrambled eggs is to add a splash of water while you're whisking them, and not move them around too much once you add them to the pan.

I lightly fried half of a brown rice tortilla in a pan and then added mashed avocado and sea salt on top. I added the scrambled eggs and topped the tostada with fresh tomatoes and chopped red onions, then finished it with a squeeze of lime. I could probably eat this breakfast every day, it was so good.





This would be a great dish to make for brunch with friends, just have a create-your-own-breakfast tostada bar. You could make fresh salsa, offer sour cream, cotija cheese, and cilantro.

Sadly, I could never do this because my husband doesn't like eggs, nor does he like avocado. Or maybe I could do this and just make breakfast potatoes and cheese, and of course bacon. THEN he'd eat it, go figure. All guys love potatoes, cheese, and bacon.




Ingredients:

Serves 1 (you could easily double, triple, or quadruple)

1 egg
splash of water
1/4 of an avocado, mashed
pinch of sea salt
1 lime wedge
1/4 cup chopped mushrooms (or any veggies you wish)
1/4 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
1 tablespoon chopped red onions
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 gf brown rice tortilla cut in half (depending on the size, mine was huge. OR you can use a gf corn tortilla)

In a bowl mash the avocado and sprinkle in sea salt. Meanwhile, whisk the egg in a bowl and add a splash of water; season with salt and set aside.

In a small pan heat 1/2 of the coconut oil on medium low heat, and add chopped mushrooms. Sautee until they're just starting to brown, then add whisked egg. Cook slowly, careful not to scramble too much.

Meanwhile add the other half of the coconut oil to another pan and 'fry' the brown rice tortilla, turning once. Once it's crisp, remove from pan and spread on avocado. Top with scrambled egg, tomatoes, onion, and a squeeze of lime juice all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Honey & Brie • Template by mable+mint