Monday, March 25, 2013

Coconut Flour Zucchini Bread (GF)

I bought a bunch of zucchini this week and I was determined to use it all, so I apologize for the flood of zucchini-filled recipes that's about to take place this week.

Who doesn't love zucchini bread? My husband WASN'T a fan, until I converted him.



I came up with this recipe while trying to experiment with coconut flour.

Coconut flour is gluten free and great for you. It's high in fiber and protein, and relatively low in calories. It's also paleo diet friendly since it's not a grain. However, I'm not on the paleo diet, nor do I plan on ever being on it, so this recipe is not paleo friendly. Sorry.

The problem with coconut flour is that it's highly absorbent, so you can't sub it in a recipe instead of wheat flour. You also need a good amount of eggs when baking with coconut flour in order to keep it from crumbling.

I personally don't like it when breads taste eggy, so I used only three full eggs in this recipe, and three egg whites. I also like zucchini bread to be pretty sweet, so I used brown sugar instead of honey or maple syrup, and added a hint of cinnamon and vanilla.

Believe it or not, this bread is also oil-free and high in protein, perfect for breakfast! I made some vanilla honey cinnamon butter to slather on top...that's not oil free or good for you, but I don't care. I also sprinkled some extra brown sugar on top before throwing it in the oven.

This bread is fluffy, and moist, and cinnamon-y, and delicious...and that was horrible grammar I just used.



Ingredients:

3/4 cup coconut flour, sifted
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups finely grated zucchini (measured after water is squeezed out)
3 eggs
3 egg whites
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup 0% fat greek yogurt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In a bowl sift together first four dry ingredients listed above and set aside.

In another bowl whisk together vanilla, zucchini, eggs, egg whites, brown sugar, and yogurt. Mix in the dry ingredients until just incorporated.

Pour into a standard sized bread loaf pan that's been lined with parchment paper (I do this with gluten-free breads to prevent them from sticking to the bottom of the pan). Bake for about 60-65 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Best when served warm.


2 comments:

  1. I tried this recipe today and it was delicious but super dense. Any suggestions on texture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. The bread is really dense due to the coconut flour. You could try whipping up the egg whites separately and folding them in, to created a fluffier bread, but I can't make any guarantees! I'm still experimenting with coconut flour myself. You could also use another gluten-free flour all together, though you will have to decrease the amount of eggs. Hope that helps!

      Delete

Copyright © Honey & Brie • Template by mable+mint