Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Kale & Arugula Salad with Roasted Brussels


I came up with the idea for this salad after going to Tender Greens for lunch over the weekend. I really wanted a salad with kale in it, however, they didn't have any at the particular location that I went to, so I settled for an arugula salad with roasted vegetables on top. I decided to come up with my own version this week using the vegetables I had here. I mixed chopped kale, arugula, and roasted brussels sprouts with dried cranberries, toasted almonds, and a lemon-parmesan balsamic dressing. The result was delicious. Next time, I might add some roasted sweet potato or butternut squash for extra flavor. Yeah, that sounds gooood.



This recipe serves two, but you could easily double, or triple it, for a larger group. Or half it, just for yourself

Ingredients:

2 cups packed, chopped kale  (I say packed as to say, 'as much you can fit into a cup as possible')
2 cups packed arugula
8-12 brussels sprouts, chopped in half
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup slivered almonds

For the dressing:

2 tablespoons olive oil
juice of half a lemon
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss chopped brussels (face down) in olive oil and roast for roughly 20 minutes, turning over halfway through. Remove brussels from baking sheet and allow to cool. Meanwhile add kale, arugula, almonds, and cranberries to a bowl. Toss roasted veggies on top of salad. Mix salad dressing ingredients together and drizzle on top. Garnish with extra parmesan cheese on top, of course.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Honey & Brie • Template by mable+mint