Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Healthy Fried Rice with Tofu




Okay, so this post isn't with the theme of "Valentine's Day", but oh well. I love chinese food. I could probably eat it everyday. Good thing I don't, I'd be huge because I can't stop once I've started. But I like to make my own healthier versions at home. Tonight I made myself some healthy "fried" rice. My boyfriend hates onions and eggs, (both of which are in this recipe) so this was a big treat for me to make tonight since he wasn't around. I use quotations when I say "fried" because I didn't use oil in the rice, like typical fried rice recipes call for, instead I used cooking spray. I also used tofu to add some protein, used one and and one egg white (to add a little fat, but not too much), and brown rice, and it turned out fine. Delicious in fact. I garnished my meal with some scallions and a squirt of sriracha on top (my absolute favorite condiment). Filling, healthy, and soooo tasty...and I have leftovers!



3 cups cooked brown rice
1 cup of steamed vegetables (broccoli, peas, corn, carrots, green beans)
1/4 cup chopped onions
as much tofu as you would like, cubed
1 tablespoon stir fry sauce
2 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce
1 whole egg and 1 egg white, whisked
chopped scallions
sriracha or cayenne pepper to taste

Spray skillet with cooking spray and saute onions and tofu in a large skillet on medium high, until they start to brown a bit. Add steamed veggies, cooked rice, stir fry sauce, soy sauce, and teriyaki sauce. Mix well. Clear a hole in the middle of the pan and add whisked eggs. Scramble the eggs in the "hole" in the rice mixture, then incorporate the rest of the rice and vegetables. Garnish with scallions!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Honey & Brie • Template by mable+mint